Campaign of the Month: February 2022
Dresden Files Accelerated: Emerald City: Requiem
Mantle - Kerubim
KERUBIM (Supernatural Scale)
After the fall of man and accession of Lucifer many Seraphim lost all interest in their mission to protect humanity. Many seraph also proved to be susceptible to human vices, sometimes fathering Nephilim children. This left the leadership of the Celestial Choir in a quandary. During this period something odd occurred. The souls of dead humans were arriving in the Elyssian Fields. Something that should not have been possible. They were men and women with diverse backgrounds, some saintly, some on the road to redemption. They could learn Angelic Theophanies, had only a single, human-like form and a few other minor Seraph powers. It was decided to send them to Earth to watch over and help humanity. They could walk among humans and not be distracted by worldly pursuits unlike their Seraphim cousins. The Seraphim held their once mortal brethren in thinly disguised contempt; that Kerubim had a much higher success rate than their more powerful but less subtle brethren did not help matters.
Similar to their divine cousins some of the Damned get a chance to avoid the torments of the Pit, if they go to Earth and corrupt others to take their place. Many of them become as black-hearted as the worse Infernal Seraphim, and serve their demon masters loyally. Others find their crimes too much to bear, and end up rejecting their evil ways. They are commonly called Qliphonim.
Common Kerubim operate at Supernatural scale but some have honed their power over many centuries and attained Otherwordly scale.
Celestial Fire (sticky): [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
All Kerubim wield the Celestial Flames. Mark a box when using certain stunts provided by this mantle. Mark 3 boxes to have a friendly NPC connected to the Celestial Choir appear and offer aid or information. Once per scenario, you may mark all 5 boxes to operate at Otherwordly Scale for a scene. Recover one box at the conclusion of any scene in which you do not mark a box. Recover two boxes at the start of a new session.
Incarnation (sticky): [ x ]
This condition is always marked. Kerubim once were human, and when on Earth they assume the form they had while alive. They appear in the prime of life (about 25-30 years of age), regardless of when the Kerubim’s human existence ended. Interestingly enough, former associates of the Kerubim cannot recognize him, although they sense some familiarity with the angel. Kerubim need not eat, drink, sleep, or breathe to survive. They are immune to narcotic and irritant poisons, but not to corrosive ones. Disease does not affect them, either, unless they are supernatural in origin.If they are “killed,” their souls are catapulted back to Ellysium or Gehenna, from which they can build a new body (a process which takes several weeks, however).
Taint Vulnerability: [ ]
If you mark In Peril or Doomed to absorb shifts from an Outsiders attack, your attacker can also declare that the attack Taints you, forcing a mark on this condition as well. While Tainted by an Outsider, you are prohibited from accessing the mantle’s stunts or conditions. Recovery requires the taints removal by overcoming passive opposition (Great (+4) at minimum) or active opposition, such as during combat. This recovery does not affect any other conditions sustained during the attack.
Resistance to Celestial Fire:
Kerubim are somewhat resistant to Celestial (or Infernal) Fire. This may be a result of their partially-retained humanity, and might be related to the Nephilim’s invulnerability to such attacks. This inborn ability makes many Seraphim uncomfortable. They are not pleased that their most powerful weapon is not very effective against their junior partners.
Kerubim gain a +2 to Defend against attacks or to Overcome contests with Celestial Fire and Theophanies. This resistance also makes them immune to the increase in Scale from a Seraphim’s Celestial Sword due to Divine or Infernal allegiance.
Once per session, you may treat a sticky condition reflecting physical injury as if it were fleeting.
Kerubim can see into the souls of people. Their senses can detect the flow of Essence, which they see as auras around people and objects. With but a glance, Kerubim can tell the emotional state of a person, and get a clear picture of that person’s personality, character, and flaws. Kerubim also have very sharp physical senses, able to see in very low light.
A Kerubim can use Focus in a contested roll against the Target’s highest approach (use Scale at the GM’s prerogative). If he is successful he may determine the High Concept of the Target as well as if they are a supernatural being. Succeeding with style gains the Kerubim more information as the GM dictates and will allow them to understand the target on a fundamental level.
Gain +2 to use Haste to defend or create an advantage.
Right Place, Right Time:
Once per session, you may announce your presence in the perfect place to help someone in need, ignoring usual limits of time, distance, or plausibility. The GM may take advantage of this stunt from time to time to coincidentally put you in the path of someone in need—this does not count against your per-session use.
Kerubim can learn the Theophany Skill and gain certain of those powers. Some of them are the same as the powers acquired by the Seraphim, while others are unique to their kind. By the same token, the Kerubim cannot learn some of the less subtle Theophanies, like Destroyer or Binder.
- BATTLER: Battlers can enter a Warrior Trance, a state in which their physical strength, reflexes, and combat skills are greatly enhanced. When brute strength or sheer speed is requisite, call upon your divine nature to gain a bonus of +2 per box of Celestial Fire marked. Furthermore, any physical actions taken may (per the GM) include scale (page 182) regardless of whether Celestial Fire is used.
- CONCEALER: Concealers can hide their presence from humans, becoming invisible and undetectable by most means. This invisibility can be selective. The lesser angel can choose to be seen by one or more members of a group, while concealing his existence from the rest. The Theophany allows the character to walk through crowds without bumping into people, by psychically prompting them to get out of his way without knowing why. Mark a box of Celestial Fire to remain selectively unseen and unheard by any mortal or group of mortals. Any supernatural being has a chance to see through the Concealment by making an overcome roll using Focus versus the Concealer’s Guile. Each box of Celestial Fire marked adds +2 to the Kerubim’s roll. A wizard’s Third Eye and a Kerubim’s Supernatural Senses can see through Concealment without rolling.
- ERASER: Seraphim laws mandate minimal contact with humans. As a result, most Seraphim groups that visit Earth have an Eraser with them. Erasers can wipe out or (more commonly) muddle the memories of human witnesses, and leave behind equivocal evidence of the angels’ actions. For example planting the idea that the reason a Seraph got up after being shot was because they were wearing a bullet proof vest. Mark one box of Celesital Fire to muddle the memories of a single mortal. A small group of mortals (four to ten or so) costs 3 boxes. Changing the memories of a large crowd would cost 5 boxes. Completely changing a target’s memories instead of just modifying them cost 1 additional box. Mortals have no defense against this effect but supernaturals may pit their Focus against a Seraph’s Guile to overcome it. Each box of Celestial Fire marked adds +1 to the Seraph’s roll.
- FINDER: A Finder can track any target they have seen or touched in the past. They can also track targets if they touch an object or person (someone close to them) which gives them a psychic impression of the target. Mark one box of Celestial Fire and make an Intellect Overcome roll determined by the GM based on how good of an impression is available. If successful they instantly get a rough idea of the direction and distance to their target and to know if they are on this plane or not. They can track their quarry across worlds following their scent even into the Nevernever if they can access it. When mystical abilities are used to resist the Finder a contested roll is used pitting the Seraph’s Intellect against the resistor’s Approach. Each box of Celestial Fire marked adds +1 to the Seraph’s roll.
- HEALER: Healers can heal wounds very rapidly. For a box of Celestial Fire they can replenish a character’s stress (including their own) in an Exchange with an Focus Overcome Roll of +2. For 3 boxes of Celestial Fire a Healer can spend a Scene to remove In Peril or Doomed Conditions with a Focus roll equal to the shifts of the Condition (4 or 6). For 5 boxes of Celestial Fire a Healer can Cure a patient by making a Focus Overcome Roll of +8 (or more at GM’s prerogative). This takes a scene at minimum and, much like ritual magic might require the Healer to Create Advantages in order to succeed. The Cure can regrow lost limbs, make old, crippling injuries disappear, remove scars and tattoos, reverse balding, even eliminate cancer or persistent viral agents like AIDS.
- TRAVELER: All Seraph can materialize on Earth and back to Elysium. Travelers can open portals between the mortal world and the wild (unaffiliated) regions of the Nevernever and teleport anywhere on Earth they are familiar with. For one box of Celestial Fire you may declare your convenient arrival in a scene via a portal. The portal will last for as long as you concentrate (taking your action for an exchange) allowing others to follow you. For 3 boxes you may open a portal to the Nevernever and maintain it in the same way. For 5 points you may travel from anywhere in the Nevernever to any other place you are familiar with.
Created by: HumAnnoyd